Sunday 5 May 2013

Birth of a bracelet



I've been asked several times how I come up with ideas for jewellery made with my lampwork beads. I'm a believer in not being too tidy (my family would confirm that!) and will often let random beads lie around on my work bench. They get to know one another and then speak to me...well one or two of them will catch my eye so I put them together and start adding other toning or contrasting elements, including my ceramic beads and purchased semi-precious beads and silver or copper charms and other components. It all evolves as I add or subtract bits. Sometimes I'll make a wirework clasp or ring or in this case a spiral cage especially for the work in progress, sometimes I find them...lying around on the bead mat. Told you I was untidy! When I'm happy with the arrangement I join it all together with appropriate bead caps and spacers and so on, and I'll often give it a chemical bath to antique the metal. In this case I left some of my rings shiny as a contrast.What do you think of the end result?

No comments:

Post a Comment